Role: Lead Backend Engineer
Experience: 8+ years
Job Type: Full Time
What is Sortly
Sortly is a simple, mobile-first inventory management solution. Our visual & intuitive approach to inventory enables thousands of SMBs and teams within iconic corporations, government entities, music bands & sports teams to stay on top of their physical things.
With over 8000 five-star ratings in the App Store and a net promoter score greater than 55, our impressive growth has largely been driven by organic sources and word of mouth. We are profitable, financially independent, and primed to scale within our $20B market!
We are a remote-first company seeking a passionate Lead Software Engineer (Backend) who is committed to building customer-centric products and possesses a deep understanding of the latest technologies.
What are we looking for
As a Lead Software Engineer (Backend), you will play a key role in building an awesome product that our customers love. You will design, develop and maintain high-quality backend systems that power Sortly while leading a world-class team of engineers.
What will you do
Build an amazing product
- You will spend a significant amount of time designing, writing, and maintaining high-quality code to deliver the best product and features for our customers
- You will drive the design and architecture of parts of the Sortly system, and will proactively seek to improve the user experience by keeping simplicity and ease of use at forefront of the design
- You'll figure out the long-term direction of features and modules and deliver them iteratively, making adjustments along the way.
Lead a world-class team
- As the Lead Engineer, you will set the standard for high-quality code reviews and technical feedback
- You will manage and coordinate a scrum team of frontend and backend engineers, working with product teams to prioritize and plan work against sprints.
- Work with cross-functional teams, including Product and Design, to define requirements, manage trade-offs and deliver the best experience and features for our customers.
- You will drive engineering productivity and automation via continuous improvement of engineering tooling and processes
Ensure smooth production
- You will participate in the on-call rotation of engineers to keep the site up and co-own the DevOps working with the DevOps team.
You may be a good fit for our team if
- You have 8+ years of experience designing, building, and scaling backend systems in a product company.
- You have strong knowledge of at least one coding language and the ability to pick up new languages quickly. You work with SQL and NoSQL databases and use AWS, Containers, K8S, and similar technologies.
- You have demonstrated experience in owning and managing complex systems through their lifecycle.
- You are abreast with the latest technologies and have a deep desire to understand how things work in great detail, to guide you in designing and debugging systems.
- You are self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership and accountability for delivering results.
- You love working in a fast-paced environment and taking calculated risks. You think strategically, learn quickly and ship iteratively.
- you are comfortable working with team members in multiple geographies and time zones over virtual channels such as Slack, GDocs, and Zoom calls. While we offer flexibility in terms of working hours, we also require flexibility from you to accommodate meetings during off-normal working hours to be able to collaborate with other members of the team, especially in early PT/ET hours.
If you are a self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, adaptability, and a growth mindset, we want to hear from you. Come join us in building the future of Sortly's backend services!